Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Most Definitely NOT A Helicopter Parent

When did parenting become living your child's life?  Parents have tried to take their kids' college entrance exams.  I just read an article that many parents of kids just entering the workforce are negotiating salary and benefits for their children.   My personal belief is that I am raising my children to be independent, thinking little people who will grow up to become independent, thinking adults.  I can't imagine not trusting my mostly grown children to live their own lives.

What were those parents like when their children were young?  I'm sure you know the type.  I do.  They are the parents who are at school at every possible opportunity.  They are constantly in contact with their children's teachers, negotiating grades and making excuses for every misstep.  In fact, many of these parents are virtually doing their children's homework for them!  I see them at my youngest daughter's ballet class.  They're the ones standing with their faces pressed against the glass every second of every class.  They're the ones pushing the teacher to move their child to the higher class because they are so "naturally gifted."  It seems like this is putting pressure on the kids and taking away their natural enjoyment of the activity.

These are the parents who have let go enough to let their children attend school.  While I can appreciate some benefits of homeschooling, I've also known plenty of people who just can't let their children go.  Instead of helping their child overcome any anxiety about being separated from their parents, they encourage it and begin homeschooling.  I've known moms who actually complain about the structure in school as well as that they just don't want other adults "telling their kids what to do."  My thoughts were always that someday our children will have their own lives and jobs.  They will have to work cooperatively with other people, make deadlines and take orders from their bosses, whether they like it or not.  Maybe these parents are the ones who will be taking college entrance exams and interceding in their children's careers.

I love my kids.  I do.  The only person in the world I love more is my husband.  I am actively involved in their lives.  However, we all deserve to spend time away from each other.  I adore when my kids get in the car after school.  I love hearing about their days.  I am not jealous of them having lives without me.  I am proud that they can be so successful on their own, knowing that I am there if they need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment