Thursday, August 23, 2012

Mid Life Crisis?

A week or two ago I was on the phone catching up with my best pal when I slipped in the fact that I thought I was having a mid life crisis.  "No," she said, "you're not old enough!"  "But I'm close to 40 and that's halfway to 80," I argued.  "I'd be happy to live that long!"

She is right about when most people seem to have them.  They seem to happen around the age of 50.  Also, most of those who suffer from them seem to be men.  But then maybe it's because they have such noticeable manifestations like buying a new sports car or getting a young girlfriend or having an affair.

Mine was brought on by the deep realization that my life has an expiration date.  I had begun to feel the effects of this dawning realization even before my 64 year old mother was diagnosed with Alzheimers. Without religion making this life insignificant, I feel like I have wasted a whole lot of time.  I'm just getting older and time is flying by.  What chances did I miss taking?  Which doors have closed?  If this is all there is, how can I live the life I want to live?  What do I want from life, period?

No comments:

Post a Comment