Saturday, September 22, 2012

Whose American Dream?

Yesterday my husband and I got a letter from Bank of America.  We are one of the lucky people who had a mortgage owned by Countrywide and then had it sold to the bank of the devil.  Dealing with them has been excruciating.  They are heartless cheats to be honest.  We have never missed a home payment nor even been late.  Not once.  One might think that would make them want to deal with us, but it's not.  Since they understand our responsibility, they know we will always pay.  For the last 2-3 months, we have been working to try and get our home payments reduced.  Their answer came in a letter delivered by FedEx,  "Sorry, can't help you."  Strangely, I'm feeling quite liberated.  We can't keep paying for this house.  It is too big, too expensive and we can't afford the upkeep.  They suggested we start thinking about short selling.  I am so ready to move on with all this.  I can't wait for the day when we have more breathing room financially.  Hell, I'm a dreamer, maybe we can even save for the kids' college funds!  Why stop there?!  Maybe put some money away for the girls' weddings we might have to pay for!!

We've got a lot to work out and things probably won't happen quickly.  I still can't help but feel optimistic.  I've come to realize that the American Dream we are all supposed to work so hard for, isn't my dream.  More importantly, it's ok that it's not.  Hard work isn't the problem.  I enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get from completing a task.  That isn't all there is though.  Neither my husband nor I want to spend all of every weekend doing yard work and household upkeep.  I would much rather be doing something fun with my family.  If we do shirk our responsibilities to go play, the guilt remains.  Life provides ample opportunities to worry and stress ourselves out.  I just want to feel like life is manageable.  That isn't too much to ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment